God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow ... And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:9-11

Saturday, November 26, 2011

Jeanne Guyon on God Only Being Good

Having a profound experience of Christ and the gifting to communicate it, Jeanne Guyon had to battle the problem of those she helped beginning to think there was something unique in her outside of Christ.

She said:

If any persons think there is any good in me, separate from God, they are mistaken; and, by indulging in any such thoughts, they do injury to the Lord whom I love. All good is in Him, and for Him. The greatest satisfaction I can have is the knowledge, that He is what He is; and that, being what He is, He never will or can be otherwise.

If I am saved at last, it will be the free gift of God; since I have no worth and no merit of my own. And in the deep sense that I am nothing of myself, I am often astonished that any persons should place confidence in me. I have often made this remark.

All Jeanne Guyon wanted to do was to experience the gift of Christ deep in her being. Secondarily, after being told to do it by the Lord, she then wanted to pass that desire on to others.

It was horrifying to her that any type of confidence or faith in her person would be placed in her by another human being.

She saw two major elements concerning Christianity: Knowing Christ deep within, and helping others to attain that experiencially.

After all, she had no confidence in the flesh concerning her self, and wouldn't think of someone else placing faith in her either.

The point is, what she experienced, she rightly believed was for everyone who trusted in Jesus Christ. She was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment