God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow ... And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:9-11

Monday, November 28, 2011

Jeanne Guyon on Owing God Everything

Jeanne Guyon always talked of her utter dependence on God, rather than her self, and how she was indebted to God for all things.

Consequently, Guyon considered it a pleasure to endure the trials the Lord sent here way, preferring to endure them than for a moment be dependent upon herself.

Guyon said:

It is my pleasure, my happiness, to be indebted to God for everything. In this state of mind, I cannot fail to be content in the trials which He sees fit to send upon me. In the spirit of acquiescence in God's will, I would rather endure them all my life long, than put an end to them in a dependence on myself.
Many times Madame Guyon expresses her willingness and obligation to embrace the trials the Lord sent her way, and in many cases, was concerned when things were going too easy, as it is always easy to based contentment and joy on outward circumstances, rather than inner fellowship with Christ, which wasn't, in her eventual experience, dependent on what was going on the outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment